Monday, January 25, 2010

Can someone you have never physically met truly be considered a friend?

There was a time when i felt that the Internet was only a place to look up codes and video game preview videos etc. Then i got into yahoo messenger and chats. I always kept my guard up because those chat rooms were dangerous you know. As time went on there was the birth of social networking sites. I have made connections with a few people from blackplanet, teenpeeps, and myspace. The people i met on those sites back in middle and high school, i still keep up with them. Some of them on the phone, others just on the computer. Then this past year i have been on Youtube. I have made quite a few friends from that site. When talking to people here on campus and referring to them, I always say my friend said this or that. some times people ask who and when i tell them they don't know em they still ask "Where do you know them from?" When i tell them they give me the weirdest look and automatically say "Those people are crazy."

Why do people believe that everyone that uses the Internet is some kind of crazy person? Yes there are some crazies out there, i can't deny that. But the same can be said about random people on the street. I mean, it's not like i just automatically gave my phone number or personal information to whoever asks online, that would just be dumb. I talk to these people and get to know them online via IM or video ca...sometimes even just voice chat. Point being, i take my time to get to know these people before they are considered friends just like people I know in my physical world.

Some of these internet friends are better friends than people i know in person. I have called for help a few times and they have always been there to support me. Not that they are the only ones that are there, but my internet friends have habits like me, and i know i can find them on the computer, sometimes late at night. Some of these internet friends I even comunicate with via text and call on a regular bases. It is my goal to meet all my internet friends in person one day. That way we are truly friends through "normal" standards.

O, i'm laying in bed typing this on my laptop and falling farther and farther into a deep sleep. Sorry this whole think is kind of scatter brain, but ummmm i'm tired so i guess i'm done. I love my friends no mater if i met you in my life, or my net life. The way we met doesn't count, It's all about the quality of friendship, and I can say that all of m friends ALL of them are amazing. I f we are net friends, i hope we can one day meet.
Ok, enough ramble... i'm out

Jamal

No comments:

Post a Comment